Saturday, April 14, 2012

Lamb Birth

Although Rusetti’s ewe lamb was born a while ago, I decided to show the story of her birth.  Capturing the birth on film is always challenging because the lighting is usually terrible, the space is cramped, and sometimes, the camera lady has to assist!  And that is what happened this time.  But we managed to get a few decent pictures of the birth.  (Remember, I was shooting literally in the dark!)
She is starting active labor here.  Note how high she holds her head on the far above right.

Now you can see the amniotic fluid and mucous coming.  Her water bag burst inside her.

And now two feet!  I’m checking to see if there’s a nose.  Though I am not wearing gloves, I washed and disinfected my hands and arms.


She went down and is pushing harder.  Here the nose and forefeet are presented.

She is having some difficulty- and it’s no wonder.  The baby’s head is sideways, so where you would normally feel the poll there’s an eye socket!  I assist her by gently stretching the lips of the vulva, pulling on the lamb’s legs, and easing her head out.  I can’t emphasize enough that I again washed my hands and arms!  It’s critical to avoid introducing pathogens into the ewe, because serious infections may result.

And it’s a girl!  A gorgeous, strong ewe lamb seems to be the perfect reward for Rusetti’s hard work.  She is licking her off and bonding to her.

Her daughter, yet to be named, has blossomed into a beautiful, strong, muscular ewe with perfect conformation and fleece.  And she is a true gray!  I’m looking forward to watching her grow and seeing what kind of lambs she will produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment