Saturday, August 13, 2011

Post-Fair Update

We show at the Ingham County Fair every year both in open class and 4-H.  This was the first year we decided to bring our Finnsheep, and we also took three Pygmy goats and our two Angora goats.  We also exhibited six Finn fleeces, two Angora mohair fleeces, plus handspun yarns.  Overall it was a very good year.
Toivo, our three year old gray piebald Finn ram, placed Reserve Champion in the Any Other Breed Ram category.  A katmoget fawn Shetland that was bred by David Knight took Grand Champion, so there was very good competition.  Congratulations to David Knight for this win!  I am very happy that the rare breeds are being recognized and shown off to the public.  I hope that this continues!  It was a fun show.
Vinny, Toivo’s son, took Grand Champion in the Open Class Any Other Breed Yearling Ram class.  He appeared to enjoy the show.
My yearling Angora doeling Samantha took Reserve Champion in her class, as did her fleece in the Fiber Goat Fleece competition.  Curly, my two year old wether took Grand Champion in his class and in the Fiber Goat Fleece competition.
Eero, my FBA brown Finn ram, took Grand Champion ram’s fleece at the sheep fleece contest!  All the fleeces received blue ribbons in their categories.
I received Best in Show with my 4-H handspun yarn and Sweepstakes in open class for another skein.
I think that the public really enjoyed Vinny and Toivo hamming it up at the fairgrounds, and I enjoyed promoting the rare breeds.   We are now relaxing and I will be posting my fleeces online for sale soon.
I picked up our newest fiber pet, a PyNigora white buckling from David Knight.  His name is Patrick, and he is very cute and will have Type C fleece, I imagine.  He is quite playful and I am thinking that I will neuter him, as we do not have the facilities or the does to keep yet another intact buck.  It is already challenging to deal with three rams and two bucks.  Sonny Boy will be breeding Lulu, my Pygmy doe, sooner or later for Pygora kids.  I do not think that Samantha, our Angora yearling doe, is ready to breed yet this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment